The Army takes care of its ex-employees like no other organization. Many of the benefits enjoyed by an Army man gets carried forward even after retirement. This is something that very few other professions can boast of.
Typically, the following benefits are available for a retired personnel of the Indian Army:-
- Pension at 50% of Last Pay Drawn
- Death Cum Retirement Gratuity
- Free Medical Treatment for self and Dependants
- Canteen Facilities as Before
- Insurance Cover
- Resettlement Opportunities
- MBA Programme for Retired Offers.
Apparently, there are about 61 types of facilities, benefits and allowances that are applicable to Army in general. In fact if one were to work out the remuneration of a service officer via comparable job in the private sector, on the basis of ‘Cost To Company’ (CTC) you would be astounded to find the returns of an Army man very attractive.
The Seventh Pay Commission has already been constituted by the Government and the pay scales of all Central Government employees shall be revised wef 01Jan 2016 as and when the recommendations of the Seventh Pay Commission are finalised and approved by the Government. So one can expect a substantial increase in pay /perks as enumerated above.
Pension Division deals with policy matters relating to pensionary matters of Armed Forces Personnel which includes:-
- Service Pension is granted @ 50% of emoluments last drawn or average of reckonable emoluments during the last 10 months, whichever is more beneficial. The minimum qualifying service to earn pension is 20 years in case of Commissioned Officer and 15 years in the case Personnel Below Officer Rank.
- Ordinary Family Pension is granted @ 30% of reckonable emoluments last drawn subject to a minimum of Rs. 3,500/- p.m. (in case of natural death of the individual).
- Special Family Pension is granted at a uniform rate of 60% of reckonable emoluments last drawn by the deceased, subject to a minimum of Rs. 7,000/- p.m. (in case of death of a individual attributable to military service).
- Liberalized Family Pension is granted equal to the reckonable emoluments last drawn by the deceased(to the families of personnel killed in war or war like operations, counter-insurgency operations, encounter with terrorists etc.)
- Disability Pension is granted comprising of disability element @ 30% of emoluments last drawn subject to a minimum of Rs. 3100/- for 100% disability to be reduced proportionately for lesser degree of disablement. Service Element will be @ 50% of the reckonable emoluments last drawn at the time of disablement.
- War Injury Pension The rates of War Injury Element for 100% disability for various rank shall be equal to the reckonable emoluments last drawn which would be proportionately reduced where disability is less than 100%.