Not just fighting to protect our nation, Indian Army has also undertaken many initiatives in order to improve its relationship with the civilians. One such effort is Operation Sadbhavana (meaning Goodwill).
Operation Sadbhavana was launched in 1998 by the Northern Command of the India Army. Lt. Gen. Arjun Ray played an important role in promoting this initiative in the militancy affected region. The program is aimed at “Winning the Hearts and Minds” of people by promoting activities that focuses on the basic needs.
Few of the initiatives under this program include:
- Regular healthcare programs conducted in areas where the civil workforce is not able to reach. War torn-communities see this as a real blessing.
- Unprivileged children who have limited or nearly zero access to schools are provided access to Army Goodwill Schools (AGS), in order to educate them by providing them with the best teaching facilities and rigorous monitoring, helping in creating a better society.
- Operation Sangam is introduced allowing children from Kashmir to visit different part of the country. Likewise, Operation Maitree allows children’s from other states to travel to Kashmir to broaden the learning environment and know about the cultural diversity.
- Renovation of villages – construction of roads, electrification, installing hand pumps, etc., has helped in improving the standard of living.
- Ample chances are provided to the senior citizens in J&K to travel to new places, helping them in socializing with others.
- Reconstruction of schools was undertaken under the Operation Ujala, a continuation of Operation Sadbhavana, which was reduced to rubble in terrorist attacks.
- Vocational courses are offered by the Indian Army to the locals.
- In order to improve the living standard of economically backward classes Community Development Centers has been established.
- Orphanages and hostels are established for children who have lost their families in attacks thereby providing them the basic amenities.
- Livestock being the main livelihood of local communities, veterinary camps are organized focusing on the treatment aspects.
- Computer centers have also been set up to cope up with the fast growing digital world.
Be it any operations, Indian Army have always tried in helping by serving the nation and its people. Join Army, Serve the Nation!